Below you will find a number of helpful resources covering a wide range of topics.
About Sign Language Interpreting
- 5 Things to Look for When Hiring ASL Interpreters
- How to Hire an Interpreter
- RID Standard Practice Paper
- What Merits a Great ASL Interpreter?
- Promoting Inclusive Events to Deaf Audiences
- Frequently Asked Questions About Certified Deaf Interpreters
- Why Interpreter Visibility Matters
- Accessibility for Medical Practices
- Working with an ASL Interpreter: the DOs and DON’Ts
About Deafness & Deaf Culture
- Legal Rights of Deaf Individuals
- What is American Sign Language?
- What is it Like to be Deaf?
- ASL Unlocking Communication
- Is American Sign Language a Foreign Language?
- The Limitations of Lip Reading
- Deaf Community Working to Change Perceptions
- What Does it Mean to Have Hearing Privilege?
- Civil Rights Issues Related to Deafness
- 15 Ways to Improve Deaf Awareness
- The ADA in Action
- How to: Approach Someone Who is Deaf
News & Current Issues
- National Association of the Deaf
- Deafness in Pop Culture
- #DeafTalent Everywhere!
- Helping to Educate and Advance the Rights of Deaf (HEARD)
- News Reports in ASL ~ The Daily Moth
Deaf Family Resources
- Language Equality & Acquisition for Deaf Kids (LEAD-K)
- American Society for Deaf Children
- Deafness in Children’s Literature
- Educational Options for Deaf Children
- Establishing a Bilingual ASL/ English Household
- Building Communication with a Deaf Child
- Raising a Deaf Child
- The Importance of Educational Interpreters
- Bridging the Communication Gap in Your Own Family
- Assisted Living for People with Disabilities
- Registry of Interpreters for the Deaf
- How Do I Know What Interpreting Agency to Work For?
- What’s it Like to be an ASL Interpreter?
- How to Represent an Agency
For Deaf and Hard of Hearing
- National Association of the Deaf (NAD)
- Deaf Women United
- National Black Deaf Advocates
- American Deafness and Rehabilitation Association (ADARA)
- Association of Late-Deafened Adults
- Statewide Vocational Rehabilitation Services
- Deaf-Friendly Business Guide
- DeafLEAD Crisis Services
NYC resources for the deaf and Hard of Hearing
- NYC Mayors Office Resources for Deaf/HoH
- Adult Career and Continuing Education Services-Vocational Rehabilitation
- Full list of NYC Resources
NYC Deaf Events
- Creating an Inclusive Workplace
- Hiring and Supporting Deaf Employees
- Deaf Accessibility at Work
- What to Look for When Hiring Interpreters
- Empowering Employees to be Deaf Aware
- Benefits of a Diverse Workplace
- Creating Opportunities
- Why Cultural Competency Training Matters
- Innovative Inclusion